Monday, January 5, 2015

How To Cook Frozen Chicken

For A Filipino who spent almost all her 33 years of life in the Philippines with a maid, cooking was really not a necessity.  I had other things to master and cooking was not part of them.
But yup, there were times when we didn't have a maid.. months even,, and I was really a very obedient girl.  As soon as I get home, my mother would call our landline and give me instructions.  "Anak (daugther)," my mother would begin to instruct me, "Cut some onions and mince some garlic. By the sink you'll find a chicken I left  to thaw.  Saute the onions and garlic and put the chicken.  Add soy sauce, etc, etc..  When it's cooked, season to taste."
Once she gave me or reminded of the instructions, I would then feel prepared to cook our dinner.  In my mind, I was obediently following her instructions and I trusted her so much that I knew I can do it and that it will come out good.  Usually it did, by the way.
But I have grown up, my mom had passed away, and now I am in Western Australia, having no maid.  Things have changed and usually, I do find myself in the kitchen, trying to plan what I should cook next and how much I should cook.
How To Cook Frozen Chicken
1.  Remove chicken from the freezer and from its container
2. Get a bigger pan to put the chicken in.  If there's none (like in the case above), then settle for the biggest pan you can find.
3. Put some water in it and put the frozen chicken.
4. Boil the chicken.
5. When the water is boiling, use a ladle to pour on the parts which are not submerged.
6. Once the chicken is thawed and somewhat cook (you can't help that), put the vegetables and spices in.
I was able to do two dishes with the frozen chicken wings above.  When they were separated I placed half in another container and made buttered chicken.  This one was made into soup with vegetables (almost a "tinola" without the papaya) .
If my mom and my grandmom (who died five years earlier than my mom) could see this photo, they would be shocked.  Well, pleasantly shocked.  They were the ones who gave me many instructions but would be very open when I do things creatively.  I realise now how bless I am to have had been instructed by these two beautiful souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment